Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Quit Saying No to the Camera and Just Do It!

As the photographer in my family, I was always the one behind the camera and hardly ever in front of it.  It wasn't until a few years ago when I joined facebook that I realized I didn't have any pictures of myself.  I started looking for a decent picture to use as my profile picture and there just weren't that many to choose from.  That's when I decided that I needed to be in front of the camera at least some of the time too.  Don't get me wrong, behind the camera is a more pleasant place for me to be.  So, I started putting the camera on auto and handing it to one of my family members to snap off a few shots of me.  The idea that someday my great, great grandkids might know what I looked like, makes me happy.
On to you....
I know all of the excuses.  I've used most of them.  I'm fat.  I'm not dressed right.  My hair is a mess.  I don't have on any make-up.  Blah, blah, blah...  I guarantee you, no matter what you look like now, in ten years you will look back and think, "hey, I didn't look that bad".  Growing up, I had those Paparazzi uncles that always had a camera and were snapping off candid shots at every family gathering.  It kind of made me feel weird.  Guess who is the Paparazzi now?  Ha!  It's me.  I beg you to go ahead and get in front of the camera.  Don't take yourself too seriously.  Have fun with it.  You will have wonderful memories on paper or maybe even your walls!

I'm about to start a new project that I call 30 Days of People.  I want to photograph a different person every day for 30 days.  I imagine that I won't have a problem getting people in the 20 - 30 year old age range, it's the people that are my age that I'm worried about.  Just remember, you don't have to be perfect to look good in a photo.  Most of the people that I meet are beautiful in one way or another.  I hope to show that to the world.  Flaws be damned!  I'm doing this!

Now, go get in front of that camera!  Better yet, call me.  :)

Vicki~

3 comments:

Kelly C said...

I would totally volunteer but, alas, something tells me you're not willing to drive to South Florida for a photo op!

Divinely Acquitted said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Divinely Acquitted said...

I love your work. And I can relate with the part where I can't find lots of photos with me in it. Not because I'm a photographer, it's just because my family & friends are too lazy to take pictures! And I love pictures! I always tell my family that when I'm gone & they begin looking for photos of me, they will regret not clicking that camera with me in front of it!lol Oh, and I love the 30-day idea BTW. Great job!